La Ciotat, France
Senior Firmware Engineer
RISC-V is a groundbreaking CPU instruction set architecture. Along with being an open-source instruction set, RISC-V is informed by decades of industry experience with various RISC processor designs, while being unencumbered with the necessity of backward compatibility. It is a unique opportunity to base a processor design on sound engineering principles, and the successful applicant will have comprehensive daily hands-on exposure to this architecture. While several companies are pursuing RISC-V design, only SiFive is founded and actively managed by the inventors of RISC-V. This is not an academic exercise; we have real customers and real silicon.
As a Senior Firmware Engineer in the Platform Security team, you will participate in the development of embedded firmware and software stacks that are parts of SiFive Shield Open Secure Platform architecture and that a includes a secure bootloader, a cryptographic library and a security monitor for its hardware enforced multi-world solution called WorldGuard. Such implementation can operate on various operating systems including FreeRTOS.
This position is a highly visible role since the developed code targets sensitive functions found in a SiFive RISC-V SoC. By its design philosophy, RISC-V is highly configurable, and we have several different configurations in our design pipeline, with various combinations of supported instruction set and with various peripherals and bus interconnect architectures. Developing high quality and robust firmware that can accommodate such variation is a challenging task, to be addressed in this role.
- Develop and document embedded firmware (bare-metal code, drivers, stacks) that works across the whole SiFive products portfolio;
- Contribute to the integration into our SDK and SiFive Core Designer;
- Port and enhance real-time operating systems on 32- and 64-bit RISC-V platforms;
- Specify firmware features taking into consideration security and robustness constraints;
- Create test suites (Python, C, or otherwise, as needed);
- Drive the execution of a test suite (scripting, Makefiles, etc.);
- Interact with the software validation team to help drive bug closure.
- A minimum of 3 years of recent experience on embedded firmware development;
- Exposure to MISRA, DO-178, DO-254 standards would be a plus;
- Experience with FreeRTOS or Zephyr OS would be much appreciated;
- Solid understanding of processor and SoC architecture, or a strong desire and ability to learn same;
- Proficiency in Assembly language, C, Python, and knowledge on how to use embedded development tools such as Eclipse IDE and associated debug tools;
- Master’s degree required with emphasis in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science.
SiFive is proud to be an equal employment opportunity workplace. We offer a competitive compensation package along with an employee stock option program, and much more. If you yearn to be challenged and wish to work in an environment where the boundaries of your creativity and skills will be tested, then SiFive is place for you.